Η ιστοσελίδα της Π.Ε. Ξάνθης είναι ενημερωμένη μέχρι

την Τετάρτη 15/01/2020

Για μεταφορά στον καινούργιο ιστότοπο πατήστε εδώ.


Religious Tourism


There are three Monasteries and one church-metochion operating today in the Prefecture of Xanthi.

The Monastery of Taxiarches (Archangels) is located at a distance of 3 km above the town. Its katholikon is the oldest monument in Xanthi, dating back to the late 9th century. The Ecclesiastical School of Xanthi is located in the grounds of the Monastery. Tel: 25410-22362, 25410-29911.

Μονή Παναγίας ΚαλαμούςThe Monastery of Panagia (Virgin Mary) Kalamous was originally built during the mid-Byzantine period. Today, it consists of a newer building that was constructed in the early 20th century; its katholikon, which celebrates its feast day on 23 August, has been recently restored. The Monastery is open daily. Τel: 25410-66000, 25410-29899.



Μονή Παναγίας ΑρχαγγελιώτισσαςThe Monastery of Panagia Archaggeliotissa (Virgin Mary Archangel) was established during the mid-Byzantine years. Its katholikon was destroyed by the earthquakes of 1829 and rebuilt in its present form in the year 1841. The Monastery’s feast day is the 15th of August. The eastern wing of the Monastery houses the Ecclesiastical Museum of the Metropolis of Xanthi, where a significant number of portable icons and other items of worship and heirlooms are exhibited. The Monastery is open daily. Tel: 25410-29799.



Άγιος Νικόλαος

The Church of Agios Nikolaos (St Nicolas) is located in Porto Lagos and is a Metochion (dependency) of Vatopedi Monastery. It is open daily. Tel: 25410-96766.



In the Old Town district of Xanthi, the following churches can be found:

The Church of Pammeggistoi Taxiarches (Great Archangels) Kavakiou was built in 1834, possibly on the ruins of an older church from the mid-Byzantine period. It is a three-aisled basilica with a wooden roof, and a more recent narthex and belfry that were built in the early 20th century. Tel: 25410-24454.

The Church of Agios Georgios (St George) was constructed in 1835. It is a basic three-aisled basilica with a wooden roof. A point of interest is the votive stele of Efthalia Davidovich (1866) which can be found in the courtyard. Tel: 25410-22182.

The Church of Agios Vlasios (St Vlasios) was built in the year 1838. It is a three-aisled basilica with a widened narthex. The icons on its iconostasis are the work of “a painter from Mt Athos”. The priest’s house and the local school stand in the courtyard. Tel: 25410-68224, 25410-22182.

The Metropolitan Church of Timios Prodromos (St John the Baptist) was built in 1839 by the Metropolitan of Xanthi Evgenios, on the ruins of an older church possibly dating back to Byzantine times. Tel: 25410-23360.

The Church of Akathistos Ymnos was constructed in 1861. It is a three-aisled basilica, with an interesting timber-framed narthex. The miraculous icon of Theotokos is located in the central aisle of the church. Tel: 25410-25665.

On the borders of the Prefecture’s Municipalities, the following parish Churches can be found:

The Church of Ypapanti tou Christou (Presentation of Christ) Geniseas was built in 1835 by the Metropolitan Evgenios. It is a simple three-aisled basilica with a wooden roof; its current narthex was added at a later date. The holy icon of Ypapanti tou Christou is of particular value. Tel: 25410-81224.

The Church of Agia Paraskevi (St Paraskevi) in Avdera took on its present form in 1845. It is a three-aisled basilica with narthex. Worth seeing is the icon of Panagia Eleousa, and the miraculous icon of Agia Paraskevi in the iconostasis. Tel.: 25410-51233.

The Church of Evangelismos tis Theotokou (Annunciation of the Virgin Mary) in Stavroupolis was built in the year 1858. It is a three-aisled basilica with elements of secular architecture. The miraculous icon of Panagia Eleousa is kept there. Tel: 25420-22261.

The Church of Agios Dimitrios (St Demetrius) Kimmerion was built in 1902 by the Metropolitan of Xanthi, Ioakeim Sgouros. Tel: 25410-71198.